How hot does it get in summer where you live? It's been hovering around 32˚C in Hong Kong these few weeks and the humidity only makes it seem hotter.
Ice cream and ice cold drinks are staples of the summer diet, but it's hard to enjoy these treats while maintaining that summer bod you've worked so hard for!
These ice blocks are delicious and healthy, perfect for these hot summer days. All you need is some fresh fruit, which should be abundance at this time of the year! Watermelon and mango is actually a combination I've fallen in love with after trying this flavour combination in a drink.
The watermelon is refreshingly crisp, while the mango is sweet and fragrant. I used Thai mangoes for this, which are yellow and shaped like a leaf. I prefer the mangoness of these compared to the greeny-red round ones. I also added some lime juice to the mangoes just to cut through the richness a little.
Try out these delicious fruity treats and let me know what you think!
Full recipe here --->
WATERMELON AND MANGO ICE BLOCKS by Sam | Svelte Salivations
Refreshingly delicious treats to make full use of summer fruits
Makes 6 ice blocks. Takes 15 minutes to prepare, and 4 hours to chill.
- 1 large mango
- 1 lime
- 1/4 watermelon
*Note that the amount of fruit you need will depend on the size of your fruits and how big your ice blocks are, so adjust to suit your needs!
- Cut the flesh from the watermelon into cubes and blend into juice.
- Pour the freshly squeezed watermelon juice into the ice block trays, so that they are half-filled with watermelon juice.
- Chill in the freezer while preparing the mango.
- Peel and cut chunks of mango and blend into juice. Add the juice of one lime (more or less, depending on your preference). Mix well.
- Add the mango juice mix in the trays on top of the watermelon juice. Pop the sticks in.
- Chill in the freezer for at least 4 hours or until completely frozen.
- To serve, take the tray out and leave at room temperature for 10 minutes. This helps when trying to loosen the ice blocks from the tray! Serve immediately!